Saturday, May 3, 2014

You Know You've Been In Village Too Long When...


  • You start using Pulaar word order and phrasing with English words: 
"If tomorrow comes, I'll go. If God wills it"  
"Rain came!"     
"Where shoes your are?"
  • Your hair falls out in chunks, which doesn't help support your claim that its not a weave or a wig: "really- look, I can't take it off, its attached to my head- oh, well, not that piece..."
  • A volunteer says they are looking up how to do an exorcism in order to fix the jinn (genie spirit thing) in the regional house computer and you think its a great idea
  • You crave sweet, hot tea every day at 4pm every day (even if it is over 110°)
  • You have no idea what legs even look like anymore
  • You associate the smell of burning plastic and dung-fueled fires with home
  • You sleep through the 5 am call to prayer and the numerous yells of goats, sheep, roosters, and donkeys but wake up from coma-like sleep if you hear anything related to water
  • You think you'd look good in cornrows
  • Anything- tin can, book, rock, stick- can be your pillow for a midday nap

Probably only people from my region will understand this, but I think its a decent representation of the random things that are important in my life these days. 

In other news, I'll be spending a month in America starting June 27th! Clearly I've been spending a lot of time being integrated to village life and I think I deserve a good dose of America. And as much as I appreciated Ramadan last year and had a great experience, I'm going to bow out this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment